Our Keto Pancake Recipe and Top Five Low Carb Pancake Toppings
Here at WE ARE LOW CARB, we champion the belief that living a keto or low carb lifestyle does not mean you have to miss out on meals out, getting involved in the holidays or having a little of what you fancy!
Take Pancake Day, for example, it’s just around the corner and was traditionally a day to use up ingredients and enjoy a feast before the start of lent, but nowadays, it’s seen more as an excuse for a treat. Typically, pancakes would be a no-go for those following a low carb lifestyle. But not anymore…
Normally a pancake contains 29g of carbs per 100g, but we have a delicious keto-friendly pancake recipe that makes pancakes that only contains 7g of carbs per serving – what a difference!
How to make Keto Pancakes
This quick and easy recipe is full of healthy fats, making it the ideal treat for those who want to get involved with the festivities and keep their bodies in ketosis.
- 4 eggs
- 75ml almond milk
- 1 tsp Nick’s sweetener drops
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 175g almond flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (we recommend Nick’s!)
- Whisk the eggs and almond milk together in a bowl. Add the sweetener drops, baking powder, cinnamon, almond flour and vanilla extract, then stir to combine.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Pour in a couple of tablespoons of the batter and cook until the edges are set, around 2-3 mins. Flip and cook for a further 2 mins until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter, then serve in stacks with your favourite toppings!
Our Favourite Low Carb Pancake Toppings
Now you have the pancakes sorted; it’s time to get creative and choose your toppings. If you’re struggling for inspiration, here are our favourite low carb pancake toppings:
Jam is a classic pancake topping and is even better when topped with fresh fruit. Made with real berries and containing no added sugar, our delicious jams make it easy to stick to your low-carb lifestyle without compromising on taste. With strawberry, raspberry and blueberry available – which one will you choose?
Nick’s honey is just like the real thing. Drizzle over your pancake and add yoghurt and fruit for an indulgent, low-carb treat. Full of flavour and low in sugar, Nick’s honey is also a great way to sweeten drinks and desserts.
Bacon is an excellent choice if you prefer savoury pancakes to sweet, or if you want to make the most of Pancake Day by eating them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (we won’t judge!)
Naturally low in carbs and high in fat, bacon is ideal for those who follow a keto lifestyle. Add eggs and avocado to further increase the fat content and make a delicious, filling meal for any time of day. Or why not try a drizzle of Nick’s Honey over your bacon and enjoy your pancakes American-style!
4. Peanut Butter
Packed with healthy fats and protein, peanut butter slowly releases energy which keeps you feeling full for longer. Be sure to pick a peanut butter that is free of artificial ingredients and doesn’t contain any added sugar.
To make a truly indulgent pancake, why not grate over a Nick’s milk chocolate bar?
5. Lemon Curd
Lemon curd is a classic pancake topping that is a take on the traditional lemon and sugar we all had on our pancakes as children!
Traditional lemon curd is high in sugar, but you can make your own keto-friendly version using this easy recipe:
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 10 Tbsp Sweetener (Nick’s Stevia drops work well)
- 75g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Large Lemons (juiced)
- Add the eggs, egg yolks and sweetener into a small saucepan. Whisk until combined
- Put the saucepan over a low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to whisk. When it has thickened, remove it from the heat.
- Strain the lemon curd through a sieve into a mixing bowl. Let it cool completely and transfer it into a jar. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before using. You can store the lemon curd in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (keep it covered).
Are you ready for Pancake Day?
If, like us, you’re well and truly ready for Pancake Day, make sure to order your toppings so you have plenty of choices for the big day!
On the day, we’ll be sharing our favourite toppings on our Facebook community, so, make sure to join and share your creations – we can’t wait to see them!
Share your story with us on Instagram